Does anyone else think men are the hardest people to buy gifts for? I have the added bonus of my husbands birthday in December too and I’m always at a loss! I hope my gift guide for the cool dude will help you find the perfect gift whether it’s for your husband, boyfriend, brother, dad or any other guy you’ll be spoiling this Christmas.
1 – This has to be the coolest lunch bag I’ve ever seen.
2 – A shoe polishing kit for the stylish guy who always wants his shoes to look shiny and new.
3 – This super simple watch is perfect for the minimalist.
4 – For something a little different, how about a perspex bowtie! They’re available in loads of colours, this transparent blue one is pretty funky.
5 – This wall mounted bottle opener would be an awesome addition to a home bar, plus it’s a moose! How cool is that?
6 – This adorable ‘rugged man’ magnet would be a perfect stocking filler. You can even make him dance!
7 – This classic duffel bag could work as a weekender or just a gym bag, made from antique Hungarian grain sacking it comes with an interesting history.
8 – The coolest place to drop your wallet, phone and keys, a skull tidy!
9 – A stylish leather ipad is a staple for a techy dude.
10 – How about this rider bag in bright blue made especially with the cyclists in mind.
Every Friday we share our favourite finds from the week…
- Last week I saw this video straight after I posted my blog and just had to share, how could anyone get angry with these cute brothers.
- Looking for gift wrapping ideas? These are low cost and easy to do…might have to try a few of these out.
- There is nothing I would love more than to build a fire pit for the winter months, here are some great pits!
- Looking for something to do over the festive season? Check out this guide to all the great Christmas markets and events around London.
- Ever seen the evolution of dance video? I’m sure most of you have, but have you seen the evolution of dance between Jimmy Fallon and Will Smith? Brilliant!
Well it’s Black Friday, so I won’t hold you up any longer…enjoy the sales and have a lovely weekend.
It seems I have started a soup series, not intentionally but soup is delicious and it’s the perfect meal to warm you up in this weather so I guess it’s a good thing! Ok this is probably my favourite soup of all time, it’s kind of like pea and ham but the yellow peas make it so much better and it’s really simple.
375g yellow split peas
1.5-2l stock (chicken and/or vegetable)
2 celery stalks
2 garlic cloves
2-3 thyme stalks
180g pulled ham hock
salt & pepper
Finely chop the onion, garlic, leek and celery (you could also add carrots or potatoes). Add a good glug of olive oil to a large pot and fry all the chopped veggies with a few stalks of thyme. Once soft but not browned tip in the peas and cover with stock, bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for about an hour.
Once your peas are soft and tender add the cooked ham hock to warm up (this recipe is perfect for using up left over gammon or you can usually find already cooked ham hock in the deli meats section), season to taste and your soup is ready! Easy right? If your soup is really thick, almost like a stew just add more stock, unless you like it that way. Also if you prefer a smoother soup you can always use a hand-held blender before adding your ham hock.
In Vicky’s words ‘I think this is the best pea and ham soup I’ve ever had!’
I’m sure everyone knows someone who is just the perfect entertainer, the party is always at her house, she makes you feel right at home, the food tastes amazing and her home looks like it should be in a magazine. But what to get her for Christmas, here’s a little gift guide for the hostess.
One – These gorgeous bowls are perfect for soups or desserts with a beautiful organic shape. They are available in plain white but for the more daring there are gold and delft blue options all with a unique and different design.
Two – How about a little DIY, this simple terrarium would look even better filled with a little succulent garden, just make sure the recipient doesn’t have a black thumb (like me).
Three – Lighting is important at any party and this pretty brass candle holder will definitely help set the mood.
Four – These funky marbled coasters are the perfect finishing touch for a cocktail party.
Five – I think this could be the prettiest tray I’ve ever seen, simple marble with gold bar handles, would work as a cheese or tapas platter or as a drinks tray.
Six – Linen napkins are always a lovely touch and this bright berry set will pop on a neutral table.
Seven – A carafe perfect for water or wine with an elegant slimline shape.
Eight – Any hostess would appreciate this adorable salt and pepper set with it’s delicate dandelion design.
Nine – Serving spoons are always needed and this beautiful set will look amazing perched in any salad bowl.
Ten – This uniquely shaped tri-circle board is a one-of-a-kind, made from solid oak. Perfect for serving your baked camembert!
Every Friday we share our favourite finds from the week…
- I have a serious addiction to soup at the moment, every week I get a new recipe for Abi to make for our lunches. This week I came across this link to mouthwatering stew and casserole recipes, I think we may have to move on from the soup and try a few of these.
- What is it with phone batteries these days? I guess I use my phone a whole lot more to keep up to date with social media, which means my battery is always dying, these cardboard batteries are definitely a good solution.
- We are constantly surprised at all the great design flying about, I absolutely loved this idea of recycling plastic bags and crocheting them to cover a table, gorgeous!
- I have been holding off with Christmas decorating ideas as long as possible, however I guess it is time to start preparing our decorations and marking off the lists. Are you looking for different Christmas tree ideas, I love the chalkboard tree in this article (then again I love anything to do with chalk boards).
- Who doesn’t love Paddington bear? I just saw the trailer and can’t wait to watch the film. I also saw the trailer for the new Cinderella film, it looks fantastic…Bringing back some childhood memories.
Time for me to start making a list and checking it twice, have a great weekend all!